Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Military tuition assistance could be cut 25%

http://www.commguys.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=22243

     "Congress has amended the Defense Authorization Act of 2012 (HR 1540)to direct the DoD to reduce the current 100 percent tuition and fees rate by 25 percent. The amendment was offered by Rep. Mike Coffman (R-CO). Currently servicemembers can get up to 100% of the tuition and fees covered as long as the per semester credit limit of $250 is not exceeded. Anything tuition costs which exceed the per credit hour cap must be paid through secondary sources like their GI Bill benefit, scholarships, grants or out-of-pocket."

     This may be a rumor now, but it's going to happen. Do we really think that the military will cut retirement payments and not go after tuition assistance. My advice: use your TA as quick as possible. I've used TA to get my B.S degree and my M.B.A, but I've always thought it was strange that the military gave TA at all. We have the G.I bill after all. Now most of us plan to give our G.I bill to our wives or kids and that's great. I just hope it's still around when our kids are school aged. I believe that if the current economic situation stays the same, and it looks like it will, either TA or the G.I bill will go away. I would venture to say that in 5 years we may not get T.A at all.
      Honestly, the new G.I bill is one of the smartest long term investments that the government has made in a long time. In addition, allowing us to give it to our families is equally as wise. College educated people pay more in taxes or their life times and the government will reap huge returns over the long term. However, will everything being looked at for cuts how can it really justify giving T.A when we already have the most generous education benefit of any employee in the world?

Use it while you can!!

What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment